BumbleBee Education take Child Protection very seriously and sets strict compliance policies to ensure that every teacher has been fully vetted and regulated to the correct standards before they begin working within our schools. We adhere to the Recruitment and Employment Confederation (REC) Education Code of Practice. We vet, meet and clear all our candidates in accordance with “Safeguarding Children and Safer Recruitment in Education” Guidelines, the “Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations”. In addition to this we meet UKBA guidelines to ensure that we prevent people working illegally in the UK. Confirmation of all completed vetting checks are provided to the client.
SUMMARY OF REGISTRATION/CHECKS:
- Face-to-face registration prior to placement
- Identity Check
- Teaching / Support staff Qualification
- Teacher Regulation Agency check
- References and previous employment history
- Health Check
- List 99 Barred List
- Enhanced DBS Check
- Registered to DBS Update Service
- Prohibited Check
- Rehabilitiation of the Offenders Act Statement
- Right to work in the UK
- The Childcare Act 2006 and the Childcare (Disqualification) Regulations 2009
- Disqualification By Association Act (for those working with children under the age of eight years
The following checks are carried out during our face-to-face registration:
- Candidates are required to provide photographic proof of identity confirming name, date of birth and photographic likeness.
- Frist Proof of I.D – An original Passport, EU Photo I.D Card or Visa.
- Second Proof of I.D – Driving License/Provisional Licence, Marriage certificate or Birth certificate.
- Third Proof of I.D – Proof of UK address issued within the last three months (eg. Utility Bills, Bank Statements, Payslip or Tenancy Agreement).
- If the candidate’s name has been changed we will require clarification and request official documentation (eg. Marriage Certificate, Divorce Papers, Adoption papers or a Deed Poll Letter to verify this).
- Current DBS issued within the last three years OR on the DBS Update Service.
Teaching candidates are required to hold a valid and recognised teaching qualification such as the following and proof must be seen:
- QTS, PGCE, Bachelor of Education, BA or BSc with Education, Diploma of Teaching.
- Bachelor of Early Education, Graduate Diploma of Education, Masters in Teaching/Education.
- Official Transcript if an NQT.
- These qualifications are also verified with the Teacher Regulation Agency.
SUPPORT STAFF QUALIFICATIONS:
- HLTA, Level 2 & 3 Teaching assistant qualification, BTEC, NNEB, GNVQ 3 or CACHE level 3 in Childcare or Early years, SEN course completion.
- *Unqualified support staff must show a good level of reading, writing and numeracy skills.
- BumbleBee Education require a minimum of two written references one of which must be an education reference, both verified directly with the referee. One must be from the last or most recent employer or recruitment agency Written follow up is always secured on any verbal references.
- Unless there are extenuating circumstances – in most cases we will have two written teaching references from within the last two years, including one from the last or most recent referee, verified or sought directly with the referee.
- Candidates may be asked to provide up to 6 years of references without any gaps of employment. If they were not employed, details must be stated.
- We seek regular feedback on our teachers to ensure that we are continually reviewing their suitability.
- All candidates will be required to complete a “Health Declaration Form” confirming they are medically fit to work in education (Teachers’ Qualifications and Health Standards, England Regulations 1999).
- Candidates may also be requested to provide a medical note or certificate from their doctor.
- If there is any doubt over the medical fitness of a candidate, a full medical certificate may be requested.
- Medical declaration forms will be updated every two years or sooner if deemed necessary by the agency.
- BumbleBee Education will check all candidates (under all known names) against the Barred List as required by Education (Restriction of Employment) Regulations 2000.
- Candidates will be required to have their details submitted for a Barred List check to verify that they have not been barred or restricted by the Secretary of State.
DISCLOSURE AND BARRING SERVICE CHECK:
- Subject to filtering rules Candidates applying for positions which are exempted from the provisions of the Rehabilitations of Offenders Act 1974 will be asked to declare any convictions, cautions or bind-over’s which they have incurred, including any that would be regarded as ‘spent’ under the Act in other circumstances. They will be required to sign and fill the “Rehabilitation of Offenders Act Form”.
- BumbleBee Education is a registered body with The Disclosure and Barring Service.
- All candidates, including overseas candidates, are required to apply for a DBS Enhanced Disclosure to verify their declaration and clear them to work, prior to commencing their first placement or when placement is imminent.
- We require all candidates to register with the DBS update service.
- For candidates who are not, we require you to: process a new DBS check if the candidate has a third party DBS.
- A DBS check will be required every 12 months of the date of issue if the candidate has a DBS from ourselves (BumbleBee Education Ltd).
- Candidates who are registered on the update service will be checked at least once per year, subject to our client’s requirements.
- If the candidate has worked or lived overseas in the last five years for longer than six months, they will need to provide us with a police check for that country.
- Original police checks from the teacher’s home country dated within the last six months (Up to 12 months in extenuating circumstance) of their departure must be provided.
- Should a DBS Enhanced Disclosure be returned with disclosed information, BumbleBee Education will discuss the nature of the offence with the candidate and confirm that these details will be released to the Head Teacher ONLY of any school that they are placed in.
- If a DBS check contains any disclosed information BumbleBee Education will provide the school(s) where the candidate works with a copy of that disclosure. This will be sent by post, marked private and confidential for the Head Teacher or may be sent by secure fax. Impact Teachers will call the school to verify the fax number, fax the DBS behind an initial blank cover page marked private and confidential for the attention of the Head Teacher and call the school to confirm receipt of the fax immediately after sending.
- Disclosed information will only be passed to school and agency staff members that are entitled to receive it. The school may wish to investigate further with the candidate or take out their own DBS check, or they may seek assurance from that their investigations have found that the information does not prevent the teacher from working with children.
- If a Disclosure reveals that the Secretary of State has placed restrictions on a person’s employment, the person must not in any circumstances be placed in a post which would infringe those restrictions, and the registered person should tell the head teacher or college principal about the terms of the restrictions which the Secretary of State has placed on the person’s employment. will also notify the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) if such a person is seeking employment with children.
- Teacher Regulation Agency - Candidates who are UK Trained or who hold QTS will also have their Records checked via the Teaching Agency Website. All candidates are also checked to ensure they are not on the 3 Prohibited Teaching Agency lists.
DISQUALIFICATION BY ASSOCIATION:
- All candidates will be required to complete a “Disqualification by Association Form” confirming if they live with someone who is disqualified from engaging with children (Childcare Act 2006).
- The form will also require disclosure of any offences committed in the U.K or overseas.
PROTECTING CHILDREN FROM RADICALISATION:
- All candidates will be required to complete an online short-course on ‘Protecting Children from Radicalisation’.
CONFIRMATION OF CHECKS:
- Schools will be provided with written notification via email indicating which checks have been undertaken on a teacher prior to them commencing any assignment.
- With regard to DBS Disclosures Head teacher’s may at their discretion allow teachers to commence assignments while their disclosure is pending, under appropriate supervision and providing other checks are already in place. The agency will inform the school of the date the DBS was requested and when it has been received.
- If any documents provided are in a foreign language, the agency WILL request an official translation.
- Serious, deliberate fraud or deception in connection with an application for employment may amount to a criminal offence (Obtaining Pecuniary Advantage by Deception). In such cases BumbleBee Education will consider reporting the matter to the police. The case may also be reported to the DBS.
- Any candidates who are suspended or dismissed from a post due to any allegation or incident that may lead to Child Protection concerns will be reported to the DBS.
For any further information, please contact us on 0208 432 9844.